Water and your pets
You’ve seen it. Even probably done it. Drinking bottled water, or filtered water from the refrigerator while your cat, dog or other pet’s water bowl is filled from that, ugh, tap. Why should our furry (or scaly) companions drink lower quality water than us? We all know that public water systems can contain certain levels of bacteria. But we knew that-
that’s why we are drinking the “safe” water. Still, many continue to fill pet bowls with tap water. Animals, like humans, need water to survive. And, like humans, animals are about 80% water. So, most animal experts will agree that pets should be given the same quality water as humans: bottled and/or filtered. As stated earlier, municipal and well water can contain many harmful things, even parasites. And, they don’t discriminate between pets and people! One of these parasites is Giardia, a single- celled organism that ends up living in the mucous lining of the intestines. This parasite can cause diarrhea in animals as well as humans. If a puppy or kitten is suffering malnutrition, the effects of Giardia can be worse. Treatment in the form of antiprozoal drugs can be administered to infected animals.
There are also things in water that can cause cancer-
just like in humans. (Fluoride, for one.) Giving a pet filtered water will remove a potentially sickness- causing organism or metal from being ingested. Cats and dogs, the two most common pets, need fresh water and plenty of it. On a side note, cats are very finicky about their water; they like it fresh. The longer the water sits out, the more oxygen it loses. Fish, who live in water, can be greatly affected by water with high levels of chlorine or ammonia; chemical used in some treatment plants. A certain pH value is needed in tank water for fish to have a proper living environment. Also, poor quality water can be more prone to ‘bad’ algae. Check with your aquarium retailer for specifics.